Updated: March 31, 2023, 4:26 PM EST
Since the launch of the powerful AI tools ChatGPT and Google Bard, discussions about whether “bots” will replace humans have grown, and studies show that some jobs—surprisingly, some traditional white-collar work—could be severely affected.
Generative AI, a form of artificial intelligence capable of generating text or other content in response to user prompts, quickly gained popularity following the public launch of OpenAI’s ChatGPT.
The AI race heats up after Google released Bard on March 21, which is a competitor to ChatGPT and a separate entity from the company’s Google search engine.
newly a report According to Goldman Sachs estimates, around 300 million jobs could be affected by generative AI, which means that 18% of work could be automated globally – with the most advanced economies being heavily impacted by emerging markets.
The report also predicts that two-thirds of jobs in the United States and Europe are “vulnerable to some degree of AI automation,” and about a quarter of all jobs could be performed entirely by AI.
Researchers from the University of Pennsylvania and OpenAI is found Some educated white-collar workers earning up to $80,000 a year are most likely to be affected by workforce automation.
According to the report, jobs in agriculture, mining, and manufacturing have the least exposure to generative AI, while jobs in information processing industries, such as information technology, have the most exposure because jobs that use “programming and writing skills” are closely related to GPT capabilities.
jobs most affected
- Finance and Banking: Banks have already started integrating AI into their business models. 56% of banks claim to have applied technology in their areas of business such as management, and 52% claim to have used it to generate revenue, according to the Cambridge Center for Alternative Finance and the World Economic Forum. Abhijit Bose, Senior Vice President, Capital One, Tell the Washington Post The AI will likely “monitor transactions” to provide detailed financial advice on saving and spending. At Morgan Stanley I started to use OpenAI-powered chatbots to curate its wealth management database, helping advisors collect data and research more efficiently. World Economic Forum too Expect Artificial intelligence will bring about three changes in the finance department: job reduction, job creation and efficiency increase. In addition, they estimate that by 2027, 23% of jobs in China’s financial sector will be replaced by artificial intelligence.
- Media and Marketing: Christian Hammond, Senior Natural Science Scientist Tell BBC In 15 years, “90% of the news will be written by machines.” Natural Sciences has a program called feather, an AI reframing tool that writes company reports before getting ads. German publisher Axel Springer announce In February it plans to move to “digital only”, which includes job cuts in favor of “new technology” and automation. Reporters for various media such as Business interestedAnd Cnet And CNBC They used ChatGPT to write news stories, although they were often criticized for containing misinformation. In January, BuzzFeed CEO Jonah Peretti announced that the company would rely on ChatGPT to personalize content and improve quizzes, much to the dismay of employees, according to Wall Street Journal. In the world of marketing, 84% of marketers reported using AI in 2020, a huge jump from 29% in 2019, according for Salesforce Research. High-performing marketing teams averaged about seven different uses of AI and machine learning in 2020, and more than half planned to increase their use in 2024, the report claims.
- legal services: Attorney used ChatGPT to post 14 pages legal paper Posted in Social Science Research Network On a slew of triggers, including creating a contract, explaining why the Supreme Court’s decision on same-sex marriage should not be appealed and developing deposition questions. An AI bot has the potential to “address questions of access to justice” and make legal services available to those who cannot afford them, Andrew Perlman, author of the paper and dean of the University of Suffolk Law School Tell Reuters. Low-income Americans do not get enough or any legal aid for 92% of their civil legal problems, according to 2024 a report By Legal Services Corp. And some have already started integrating AI into legal service, such as startups Lawgeexwhich has a service that reads contracts faster than, and what they claim is more accurate than humans.
least affected jobs
- Manufacturing and factory workers: This industry has undergone automation for a while, as General Motors is credited as the first major manufacturer to implement robotics in their assembly lines after the introduction of unified in 1961. However, generative AI can speed up the process. For example, Elon Musk a statement Tesla’s bot, or Optimus, is an autonomous android made to replace humans in dangerous, repetitive jobs. Musk plans to put these robots in his Tesla factories and eventually expand to millions around the world. According to MIT and Boston University a report, AI is expected to replace up to two million manufacturing workers by 2025. “Our evidence shows that robots increase productivity,” the researchers said. Chinese factory in Dongguan city replacing 90% of our workforce has machines, resulting in 250% more productivity and an 80% decrease in defects. The company claims that a task that took 650 human workers to complete now requires about 60 bots and 60 people.
- agriculture: according To the USDA, in 2024 there were 21.1 million full- and part-time jobs in the food and agriculture sectors, making up 10.5% of the workforce. Agriculture It is considered One of the oldest professions in the world and has stood the test of time, surviving through four separate industrial revolutions. according to Washington Post, Many small farms do not produce enough profit to invest in more machinery, although large farms do already started Heavy duty process automation. In the United States, family farms makeup 98% of all farms, most of which are small family farms occupying about half of the country’s farmland. However, the National Institute of Food and Agriculture does finance Research, education, and extension activities in the field of artificial intelligence in the areas of natural resources, environments, agricultural systems, engineering, economics, and rural communities.
- health care: a Stady Posted in International Journal of Health Services Psychiatrists found on average that 20.3% of their day was in paperwork, followed by internists and general practitioners at 17.3%. Ordinary administrative tasks like this can be automated, but other fields probably won’t need AI. David Dranoff is a professor at Northwestern University’s Kellogg School of Management Tell Kellogg Insight Most adults want to hear about their health from a human, and there is “a need for empathy… that AI can’t contribute to.” Oxford university a report Medical transcriptionists, medical records, medical secretaries, and health information technicians are expected to be the jobs most likely in this field to be automated rather than actual service providers. This extends to mental health, too Washington Post he have I tried and failed In creating an AI version of the psychologist Sigmund Freud.
Here’s what to know about OpenAI’s ChatGPT – what breaks it and how to use it (Forbes)
cool vs. ChatGPT: Explaining the main difference between chat AI tools (Forbes)
BuzzFeed to use the OpenAI ChatGPT generator to help create quizzes and other content (Wall Street Journal)