As part of the Public Health Unit, the Public Health Officer supports UNHCR’s efforts globally to ensure timely advice is provided to country and regional public health colleagues, and supports the development and implementation of tools and guidelines in a variety of contexts. The Public Health Officer supports capacity building and knowledge management activities, develops new integrated education for public health workers, manages the public health community, and supports regular webinars for regional and national level workers. The incumbent will be instrumental in supporting the global annual reporting process, including updates to survey questionnaires, compilation of regional and country data at the global level, and analysis and visualization. She/he also oversees UNHCR’s participation in UNAIDS, working with WFP to support the Inter-Agency Task Force (IATT) on HIV. The Public Health Officer reports to the Senior Public Health Officer.
Assignment purpose and scope
Main functions include:
Capacity building and knowledge management
• In line with the 2019 audit recommendations and in collaboration with the Global Learning Center, support the implementation of priority activities that strengthen PHS capacity, including public health e-learning.
• Support the development of integrated e-learning public health in refugee emergencies in close collaboration with the Global Learning Center and the Senior Public Health Officer.
• Support the coordination and management of capacity building and information sharing sessions such as global and regional webinars.
• Manage, update and monitor Community of Practice (CoP).
• Develop monthly public health newsletter and MHPSS newsletter.
• Collaborate, collate, and collate country-level best practices and lessons relevant to public health responses, and contribute to academic linkages as needed.
Internet and Internet public health website and HIV in emergencies website (jointly managed with WFP). Respond to inquiries from the IATT website, update documentation on the website and monitor its use.
Data collection, analysis, visualization
• Update data collection tools for the annual Population Health Survey and Population Health Inclusion Survey with the Global Information Services and Health Information Systems Officer.
• Monitor health data collection, clarify discrepancies and missing data, conduct data analysis, visualization and presentation related to surveys.
• Contribute to the development of data collection and data analysis tools and checklists; Support statistical analysis and data presentation.
• Be a backup to the Health Information Systems Officer.
Support for the work of the department
• Support public health, sexual and reproductive health, MHPSS and nutrition activities.
• Contribute to the development of PHS internal and external reports and policy documents as needed.
• Support IATT’s work in humanitarian emergencies with Head of Unit and WFP.
• Assist in the coordination of the country and regional Joint Program Monitoring System (JPMS). Report and prepare a global narrative report on HIV-related activities of UNHCR.
• Support human resources management duties including functional clearances of the department.
Qualifications and experience
A. Education (required level and scope and/or preferred education)
• Clinical degree in healthcare (eg medical or nursing qualification)
• Master’s degree or graduate certificate in public health, nutrition or related field preferred
• Graduate training in statistical computing and data analysis is preferred
b. work experience
• 6 years of undergraduate experience; or 5 years of relevant post-graduate experience; OR 4 years experience in Ph.D. Relevant experience includes experience in health-related programming, including progressively responsible roles, including at least 2 years in an international capacity.
• Experience in resource-supporting public health programs through international operations.
• Experience in leading capacity building activities is an asset.
c. Key competencies
• Programming experience using R, SPSS, SAS and/or Stata desired.
• Need to know how to use Power BI.
• Good communication skills with strong interpersonal and negotiation skills to deal with diverse cultural and educational backgrounds.
• Report writing skills.
• Strong logical thinking ability and organizational skills.
• Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation.
• Excellent written and spoken English required.
How to apply
To apply, please use the link below: Careers (myworkdayjobs.com)